It happens more often than it should. A child touches a hot surface and gets a serious burn.
But, the IWK Health Centre in Halifax, Nova Scotia, said childhood burns are for the most part preventable.
The hospital provides some excellent tips for parents to ensure their children are safe. Here is their list:
- Turn pot handles in on the stove and use back burners whenever possible.
- Keep hot liquids and appliance cords out of reach on countertops.
- Ensure your hot water heater is set below 49 degrees Celsius.
- Do not hold hot beverages and babies at the same time.
- Keep matches and lighters out of reach of children.
- Keep irons, including curling irons and hair straighteners, out of reach of young children.
- Keep small children away from fireplaces, portable heaters and wall heaters. Block off the area in front of heaters with secured screens and gates.
- Do not leave young children unattended around barbecue grills and campfires.
Fireplace Safety Screens Offer Simple Solution
The tip on fireplaces is spot-on! One simple solution to keep tiny hands from touching hot glass on a gas fireplace is to install a fireplace safety screen.
Our simple safety screen is installed with heavy-duty magnets, and creates a barrier in front of a hot gas fireplace door.
Click here to learn more or to order a fireplace safety screen.